What to pack
Besides your regular packing list, you might want to pack the following items.
- medicine and prescriptions (Certain restrictions might apply. Please visit TSA website for more information)
- eyeglasses/contact lenses (if needed)
- address book with family phone numbers and e-mail addresses
- music from your home country
- personal computer software
- photos (family and friends)
Prince George County is located in the mid-Atlantic region on the East Coast. The average temperature in the city is 33 degrees Celsius/91 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer and 5.5 degrees Celsius/42 degrees Fahrenheit during the winter months. The four distinct seasons require a variety of clothing, including warm clothing for the winter. The dress code on campus is generally informal, and most students wear casual clothing to classes. However, students are advised to have clothing appropriate for professional and special social functions that may arise.
- comfortable shoes
- lightweight, loose-fitting clothing for warmer months
- winter jacket
- winter accessories (hat, gloves, scarf, etc.)
- snow boots
- traditional/dress outfit
We do recommend that you bring some cash with you until you are able to transfer funds from abroad.
It can be expensive to transport a lot of belongings. It is better to buy what you need in the U.S. If you decide to send your belongings separately, your main options are by boat or by air. Shipping items by boat takes longer but is also half the cost of sending them by air. Allow eight weeks for items to arrive by boat or one-to-two weeks for items shipped by air.
Most international flights allow each student a maximum of two pieces of luggage weighing 50lbs (22kg) each (22kg x 2). Please make sure to write your name and U.S. address on the labels of your luggage and any carry-on items.